20 Posts
Notes Photo April 20, 2020

A Reflection on Trauma, Coronavirus, and 9/11

I never thought I'd see or have to deal with a cultural trauma as profound as 9/11, but the coronavirus has proved me wrong.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo April 3, 2017

On Melania Trump’s Official White House Portrait

Melania Trump, and a White House visual convention.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo

On Those Re-released FBI 9/11 Photographs

It's a cold practice "dropping" this still-wrenching material this way. These images, like so many others rushed through the news stream, deserve more.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo September 11, 2016

Memory, Poetry and Politics: Thoughtful Views from Instagram on the 15th Anniversary of 9/11

Far from the ash and the fireballs, we've collected a group of Instagram photos that evoke 9/11 in a more poetic, historical and/or political way.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo March 31, 2016

Wire Services, Instagram and Migrant Despair: Woohoo!

Publishing more colorful, interesting and entertaining photos to Instagram, are media organizations doing justice to hard news?

Continue Reading
Notes Photo September 11, 2015

On 9/11: A New Ground Zero Photo. Five Kids on Bikes.

This remarkable photo, taken 9/12/01, is even more interesting appearing in a year wracked by racial protest and the emergence of #blacklivesmatter.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo July 26, 2015

How to Understand the Newly Released 9/11 Photo of Dick Cheney with his “Foot Up”

Anyone reading a smug indifference, even if that's characteristic of Cheney most of the time, would understand at some level that it’s misattributed here.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo June 1, 2014

Hashtag Mining: 911museum

Is the 9/11 Museum a memorial or is it, ultimately, an art museum, cultural temple and design artifact?

Continue Reading
Notes Photo September 12, 2013

Alan Chin in Lower Manhattan: 9/11 Turns Twelve

Good hack and lensman that I am, I fight for access to restricted areas, bemused that the young men and women in uniforms who see journalists as intrusive adversaries have no idea that, the dozen years back, I was here too.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo June 17, 2013

You Too Can Become an Insta-War Photographer in Syria – GRAPHIC

This piece glorifies the "Bevis and Butthead" idea that any couple of fools can have a harrowing experience like this and live to (sell it to VICE and) tell the world about it.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo March 14, 2013

Tracking Pope Francis: Rockin' the Modest

Dear Pope Francis. Congrats, you're off to a flying start.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo September 12, 2012

Alan Chin in Lower Manhattan: You Said You'd Never Forget

Alan Chin's moving photo-essay on the 9/11 anniversary losing its significance with images side-by-side of the near-completed Freedom Tower and his father's photo of the original World Trade Center under construction.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo June 1, 2012

Mitt Photo-Op of the Day: Solar Eclipse

Mitt, playing for soundbites, upstaged by a building.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo May 6, 2012

NYPD "Snatch and Grab" Tactics Illustrated (and, Why the Pics are So Scarce)

If the bandwidth for reporting, visual and otherwise, is all too narrow, it's also true news photographers almost always have a lot more truth to show and tell.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo September 10, 2011

Our 9/11 Tenth Anniversary Portrait … Going the Other Way

Thankfully, friend and brilliant photographer, Mario Tama, sent me this a couple days ago, a photo unique out of the 9/11-remembrance constellation, if for one thing, by simply managing not to take itself too seriously.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo May 8, 2011

Alan Chin: Through the Champagne Spray – Report from Ground Zero upon bin Laden’s Death

A crowd gathered at the World Trade Center site (Ground Zero) to celebrate after President Obama announced the killing of Osama Bin Laden.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo March 29, 2011

Libya and The Obama Doctrine

This AP shot is actually pretty clever in the way it captures Obama's philosophy above a sea of tough looking faces.

Continue Reading
Notes Photo September 13, 2010

Alan Chin: Not Exactly a Party

As opposed to more critical or outlandish portraits of Tea Party rallies, Alan Chin's photos speak to the emotional underside of the so-called movement.

Continue Reading