This photo works as well as it does because:
• The real thing is completely exhausting. I don’t know about you but I could use a little regression.
• It institutionalizes the democracy movement as a social model and public protest as a building block.
• The state has no sense of humor.
• It’s miniature Friday!
• The robo cops are sandwiched between the people and you and me.
• Fanciful and utilitarian as they are, the whole umbrella thing is just brilliant.
• Hat tip to the ever creative photojournalist, it’s actually live outside government headquarters.
• You tell me….
(photo: Tyrone Siu/Reuters. caption: Toy Lego characters depicting a scene of protesters confronting riot police are seen on a table outside the government headquarters in Hong Kong October 20, 2014. A deepening sense of impasse gripped Hong Kong on Monday as pro-democracy protests entered their fourth week, with the government having limited options to end the crisis and demonstrators increasingly willing to confront police.)